Create!

Create!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Something New

It has been polymer beads and focals for jewelry from this girl for the last two years... but I tried something different this week.  I have been looking at and admiring the polymer clay art dolls on various blogs and Etsy shops... so here she is... my first art doll in polymer!

Meet "The Leaf Princess"!


I worked one afternoon on faces.  I used an acorn cookie cutter to get this face shape.  I also used brass tubing to make the indents for the eyes the nose and the mouth.


The leaves that surround her face were from a  Lisa Pavelka border mold.

I used yarn for her hair.  I tied strands of yarn around a length of yarn.  I remember my baby dolls with hair had rows of hair so I made two layers of these strands for the crown and the back of her head.  I made two smaller strands for each side of her face.  I used super glue to hold the yarn in place.


I wanted to add some words that had meaning to me.  So I stamped a scripture in the green at the bottom of her dress. Jerimiah 6:16 "...ask where the good way is and walk in it."

Her body is not solid.  I made a frame out of aluminum foil and covered it with clay so she is not too heavy.  I also put a wire loop on her back so she can be hung on a wall.  So tell me what you think of my "Leaf Princess"!
I learned a few things and will try to make some different art dolls.  It was fun to do something I hadn't done before!

8 comments:

  1. I love her. I absolutely love her. I think this is my favorite thing I've seen you make so far. Every little detail is so beautiful and the face you made for her is perfect. She's fairy-like and looks inquisitive about the world. I really do hope you make a lot more of these dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's wonderful! I love her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is perfect and soooo cute.

    Also thanks for the kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she rocks! love the colors you used, makes her look strong, you did great work here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you have done her orange leaf wings.You are so creative with your medium, Marian, you are really thinking outside the box here.I hope you make more as she is really lovely. Thank you also for visiting me at my blog. Regards,
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marian, I am sooooo in awe of your art doll. I've never seen anything like her! I love the way that is entirely handcrafted, and that you made such beautiful design choices including the scripture verse.
    I saw in a recent blog post that you live in DE. We were in OC over the holiday weekend and went up to Rehobeth to the outlets on Friday. We go several times throughout the summer. Any good bead stores or must- see places in the area? I'll admit we hit the outlets and walk on the boardwalk, but do not know a lot about where the locals go! :-)
    I hope you had a beautiful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think she is wonderful! I love the shape of her face and the leaf detail at her hairline. Very nice work...Cheers!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!